Houston Community News >>

4/5/2011 Houston-- For 22 years, the art sale and exhibition at the Glassell School has attracted hundreds of art-savvy Houstonians—fledgling collectors or just art lovers—who come to browse and buy work by students of the prestigious Studio school. This year the much-anticipated, annual Studio School Art Sale and Exhibition at the MFAH Glassell School of Art, 5101 Montrose Blvd., will take place over Memorial Day weekend. Studio courses at the Glassell School of Art are for adults of varying skill levels and are offered in a variety of media. The annual, juried exhibition, located on the first floor of the Glassell School, features a showcase of the best Studio School student works from the 2010-2011 school year. The exhibition this year honors Suzanne Manns, the long time Glassell School faculty chair who is retiring from the position. A variety of artworks from the diverse student body, including pieces by students featured in the exhibition, will be on sale upstairs in a fast-moving, “sample sale” environment.

The exhibition and sale opens to the public Friday evening, May 27, with a reception from 6 to 8 p.m. and continues throughout the day on Saturday, May 28, from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. MFAH Art Crowd members have the first opportunity to buy works of art at a private party on Thursday, May 26, from 7 to 9 p.m.
“The Studio Art Sale at the Glassell School provides a wonderful opportunity for people to buy high quality artwork at affordable prices. We hope young professionals and other burgeoning collectors will explore the sale,” said Joseph Havel, director of the Glassell School of Art. “The public is also invited to view the finest examples of Studio school

More than 1,000 works of art in two- and three-dimensional media are typically for sale, ranging from $5 to $500. Sale items include ceramics, jewelry, prints, drawings, paintings, photographs and sculpture. A generous 75 percent of the proceeds go directly to the artists, while the other 25 percent funds future Glassell School of Art scholarships.
The Studio School exhibition is juried by Suzanne Manns with Glassell instructors Charlotte Cosgrove and Ken Mazzu. This year’s exhibition honors Manns, who has been the Glassell School faculty chair for the last decade and who is retiring from the position to return to the faculty and focus on her teaching and artistic practice. Manns has been instrumental in developing aspects of the St. Thomas program (in which St Thomas undergraduate students can earn college credits at the Glassell School), including developing the curriculum for the BFA degree. She also strengthened the broader Glassell Studio school curriculum by adding an innovative summer workshop program. Manns will next head the works on paper department of the Glassell School of Art.

MFAH Art Crowd members have the first opportunity to see the exhibition and shop the pre-sale during an Art Crowd party on Thursday evening, May 26. Art Crowd is a group for MFAH members in their 20s and 30s; membership includes invitations to four exclusive, annual parties, including the event at the Glassell School. In addition to first dibs on the student art, party guests are treated to cocktails, hors d’oeuvres, and a DJ. Art Crowd members receive free admission; guests may enter for $25 per person. The entry fee includes admission, drinks, and bites. To RSVP as an Art Crowd member, become an Art Crowd member or purchase a guest ticket, e-mail artcrowd@mfah.org or call 713-639-7551. Advance tickets and reservations to this event are strongly recommended.